Monday, September 10, 2007

Chapter Twenty-Four

NO BANNER

----

"The Way Things Are Supposed To Be"

Ky Duyen’s arrival was very elaborate and decorative. Half the maids were getting the place presentable while the other half were taking care of Minh Tuyet. Tu Quyen was by her cousin’s side every step she took. Her heart was beating and she was anxious on the day her aunt would arrive and get the news of the mishap.

Minh Tuyet and Tu Quyen were sitting on the chairs in the living room along with Tuan Ngoc and Luong Tung Quang, who was trying to get a hold of Minh Tuyet’s hand. Suddenly, the main gates in the front open inwards; the sight of Ky Duyen and her husband, Trinh Hoi, was viewable.
“Hello everyone!” she said gracefully. As she entered the living room, she tripped over the tall threshold and her husband helped her retrieve her balance. There was a burst of laughter from a single person in the room; Ky Duyen looked around and saw that Minh Tuyet was holding her stomach and laughing like a hyena. Slightly embarrassed, she walked up to the laughing Minh Tuyet with an angry face.
“What is the matter with you child?” she said with fury. Minh Tuyet had a frightened look on her face as she recoiled herself into her chair.
“I-I-I-I-I … M-M-Mother...!”
“MOTHER?! How dare of you to speak of your mother after what you’ve done?!” Trinh Hoi and Tuan Ngoc held Ky Duyen back from slapping Minh Tuyet as Tu Quyen and Luong Tung Quang jumped in front of Minh Tuyet to protect her.
“Sister, you mustn’t be angry at her… she’s … ill.” Tuan Ngoc said,
“Ha! Ill? Don’t tell me there’s not gonna be a wedding… because I told all my friends, and they’ll be here.”
“What? You never told me this!”
“Oh please, brother! Who do you think will be there? You barely get out of the house … and even if you do, it’s just to go to the shop.”
“You-!”
“Let’s not create a commotion!” Trinh Hoi jumped in.
“Now tell me, what is going on?” Ky Duyen said, ignoring her husband.
“Minh Tuyet got into an accident and doesn’t remember anything!” Tu Quyen blurted out.
“Y-Y-YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME! I told all of my friends that my niece is gonna get married to a wonderful successful young man! And now… there’s no wedding!”
“Get yourself together! Your niece doesn’t remember anything and she probably won’t for the rest of her life and you’re standing there worrying about disappointing your friends?!” Tu Quyen yelled.
“You ungrateful little…I think you deserve a beating!”
“THINK?! You want something to think about?! How about… how many commands you put on this family? How about the pressure you put on your brother? How about how many disappointments YOU bought to the family? Oh, and you should also give a quick thought about how big your ego and pride is!”
“YOU! Don’t think that just because you’re a little madame in this house means you can talk to me that way!”
“I-!”
“ENOUGH!” Tuan Ngoc yelled. “I don’t wanna anymore yelling! Quyen, bring Tuyet back to her room!”
“Yes, uncle…”
Tuan Ngoc turned back to his sister.
“And you … It’s a week until the marriage ceremony, I’m sure that by then, you’re done thinking thoroughly about what Tu Quyen said.”
“But brother!”
Tuan Ngoc left the room with tears in his eyes. This wasn’t how it was all supposed to turn out…

No comments: