Saturday, September 22, 2007

The End <3


FIVE YEARS LATER
___________________________________________________________________

“Tuyen! Come here, honey!” Tu Quyen yelled as a little girl came running up to her.
“Mommy! Mommy! There was a bee in my hair!” Tuyen said.

Tu Quyen giggled as she fixed her daughter’s hair.

“Where’s daddy?”
“He’s at work, sweetie. Now let’s get you ready to go to your great-uncle’s grave.”
“Yes, mommy!”

Tu Quyen and her daughter visited Tuan Ngoc’s grave at around noon. They offered food and burnt incest then left. When they returned, Luong Tung Quang was already home.

“Daddy!!” Tuyen yelled as she embraced her father’s arms.
“There’s my little girl!” he said.
Tu Quyen ordered the maids to prepare dinner as she, her husband, and child were hanging out in the garden.
“Mommy! How did I get my name?” Tuyen suddenly asked.
Luong Tung Quang bent down and picked her up.
“Your name was made out of two women’s name. They were beautiful and talented. They were kind-hearted … and since we knew that you were gonna be just like them, we decided to double all of your wonderful gifts by adding their two names together.
“OH! I see… so that would be mommy’s and auntie’s! Quyen and Tuyet…!”

Five hundred miles away, a young woman was teaching a classroom full of kids. The room was raggedy and old.

“And the second step is to stroke your brush up to complete the calligraphy.”

Minh Tuyet pointed to the board and told the kids to practice as she left the room and met up with Phi Nhung.

“Madame, there’s food on the stove at home.”
“Thanks. Thanks for everything, Nhung,” Minh Tuyet said and shed a tear.
“I—”
“Thanks for leaving my father’s mansion and running away with me to help me in the outside world. I never thought that life would turn out this way … but I don’t blame anyone. My life is pretty good now.”
“Madame, it wasn’t your fault. Everything is going to be alright… and I know that in your heart, you have never forgotten about him.”

Minh Tuyet sighed in and let out a long breath as she smiled.

“You’re right. And I never will forget about him … because … someday we will be because we promised we would…”

No comments: