Saturday, September 1, 2007

Chapter Twenty-Three


…she remembered about the day Minh Tuyet acted the same way when they were both 7 years old. Tu Quyen shook her head and let out a faint cry.

“Mommy!!!” seven-year-old Minh Tuyet opened her mouth as wide as she could and let out a yell; she ran towards her mother, who held out open arms.
“What’s the matter, honey?” her mother.
“Q-Q-Q-Quyen put a b-b-big s-s-s-spider on my bed!” Minh Tuyet cried out loud.
Her mother patted her on the back and called for Tu Quyen, who came running gracefully towards her angry aunt and crying cousin.
“Yes, auntie?” she asked sweetly
“Tuyet said you put a spider on her bed… is that true?”
“U-U-Umm… I-I-I… didn’t think she would be that afraid!” Tu Quyen said shakily.
“But why’d you do that in the first place?”
“…Because she put a roach inside my dresser!” Tu Quyen said with confident in her voice. Minh Tuyet’s mother pushed her away and said,
“Is this true, Tuyet?”
“I-I-I…”
Minh Tuyet’s mother left the two of them in the garden.
“You’re such a snitch!” Minh Tuyet said coldly to Tu Quyen.
“At least I’m not a crybaby…” Tu Quyen said as Minh Tuyet wiped her eyes.
“It’s called acting, stupid!”
“‘It’s called acting, stupid’.” Tu Quyen said with a hint of mockery in her voice. Minh Tuyet rolled her eyes and fixed her hair, looking at her reflection through the pond.
“You have something on your hair…” Tu Quyen said.
“Aahhh! What is it!?” Minh Tuyet yelled.
“It’s just a piece of leaf. Here let me get it for you.”
Tu Quyen leaned over and carefully poked at Minh Tuyet’s hair and put a small spider on her head; she immediately ran away after placing it on. Minh Tuyet giggled as she saw Tu Quyen ran away.
“Stupid… afraid of a piece of leaf…”
She felt a sudden itch on her and lifted her hand to her head. She felt something fuzzy and thought it was just her hair so she gently scratched her head; suddenly… that something fuzzy crawled across her fingers.
“AAAAAAAHHHHHH!” she yelled. Tu Quyen, who was hiding behind the bush, snickered as she witnessed this hilarious scene. All of a sudden, Minh Tuyet started to shake her body trying to get the spider to fall off as she was blubbering everywhere. Tu Quyen appeared out of the bushes and ran over to Minh Tuyet to help her. She reached her hand into Minh Tuyet’s wavy brown hair, pulled out the brown hair, and threw it in the pond.
“WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU?” Minh Tuyet cried.
“…are you really scared? Or are you just acting again?” Tu Quyen said.
“Shut up! That was NOT funny! You wouldn’t like it if I did that to you!” Minh Tuyet started to bawl at the sight of the floating spider in the pond. Tu Quyen started to pat Minh Tuyet on the back but she scooted away.
“I didn’t even do anything … I-I-I don’t like you…w-w-why are you sitting here? I’m gonna go tell my mother! I h-h-hate you… … …”

Tu Quyen shook the memory out of her head and looked over at 21-year-old Minh Tuyet that was smiling at her own reflection in the pond.

No comments: