Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Chapter Eighteen


Minh Tuyet watched her step as she ran after Bang Kieu. Every time she thought she was close, she would grab for his arm and miss.
“Go away!” Bang Kieu yelled as he continued running towards the lake behind the mansion. But Minh Tuyet completely ignored him and kept chasing him. When he got to the garden, he looked back to see if Minh Tuyet was still there. She was still running; but she tripped over a piece of plant that was growing like a bridge. She fell to the floor and let out a yelp. Bang Kieu ran back to help her up; when he got there, she was seriously bleeding at the knee.
“Are you okay?” he asked, as he held her head in his arms.
“I’m fine. Bang Kieu…I didn’t mean to lie to you and –” Minh Tuyet was interrupted by Bang Kieu.
“I really don’t wanna hear it right now. I just can’t understand why you would lie to me!” he cried as he stood up. Minh Tuyet stood up after him and said,
“I’m really sorry! It’s just… you didn’t seem to like the real me when I first met you. So I was afraid that if I told you who I really was, you wouldn’t like me!”
“Tuyet, I’ll like you because of who you are!”
“Exactly! That was what I was afraid of…”
Bang Kieu shook his head, completely speechless about the situation. Suddenly, the leaves started rustle and Tu Quyen and Luong Tung Quang appeared. Bang Kieu looked over to Luong Tung Quang and smiled painfully.
“So…this is the one you’re gonna be marrying, huh? All I have to say is… you’ll be better off with him,” he said to Minh Tuyet and left. He passed Tu Quyen and whispered,
“Not hiding anything, huh?”
Tu Quyen’s face suddenly turned red and she looked over to Minh Tuyet, who was sobbing on the ground. She ran over to her and kneeled down beside Minh Tuyet,
“Go ahead and cry… let it out,” Tu Quyen patted her on the back.
“Was…meeting him that day the biggest mistake of my life?” Minh Tuyet asked as the moon shone over the lake. Luong Tung just stood there with confusion in his heart.


No comments: