Sunday, August 19, 2007

Chapter Twenty-One


Minh Tuyet woke up at the sounds of birds chirping right outside the window and Phi Nhung’s constant calls of ‘wake up, madam!’. Minh Tuyet looked out the window and admired the birds… they didn’t have anything to worry about; if anything happened, they could just spread their wings and soar to the sky, leaving all their worries and unhappiness, but they probably didn’t have any. Today was the day Bang Kieu and Duong Trieu Vu returned from sending the news to her aunt. She thought that she would be able to get over Bang Kieu over the past two days, but he was all she could think about, aside from the fact she was going to be marrying Luong Tung Quang in two weeks. Minh Tuyet pushed the blanket off her and got changed.
After begging to her father, she finally got permission to go outside again. She decided that she would go by the little river and throw all of the memories she had with Bang Kieu into the river and let it flow with all of the other unhappiness in her life. She and Phi Nhung were walking down the road, looking at shiny accessories. Minh Tuyet came upon something that made her heart felt stabbed: There was a glittery hairclip place on a piece of purple velvet on a stand. She picked it up and turned it around slowly, observing all the wonderful pieces of jewels that were on it; she remembered about the day that Bang Kieu gave one just like that to her, as an ‘early birthday present’.
“Thank you, boys, for the news. Tell your master that I will be arriving there a week before the wedding with my husband,” Ky Duyen said as she led Duong Trieu Vu and Bang Kieu out the main gates. The two men climbed onto their horses and started riding back to the city. They were almost there when Duong Trieu Vu turned to Bang Kieu and asked,
“Hey…um… are you gonna leave Lord Tuan Ngoc’s mansion because of this situation between you and Minh Tuyet?”
“I don’t know… I thought about it. It’s really awkward when I see her… but I remember about my mother who is very ill…and I need the money,” Bang Kieu answered, still keeping his eyes on the road.
“I don’t understand why you’re so mad. I think you should just forgive her… she did do this because she liked you.”
“You don’t get it… If she liked me, then she wouldn’t have any problems with telling me the truth.”
“Oh… so you’re not sure if she likes you or not. Well, I can assure that she does like you. I have never seen her so heart-broken before…,”
“Well…can we just drop this? I don’t wanna talk about this.”
Bang Kieu face had a frown on it and he started to ride faster; Duong Trieu Vu tried his best to catch up with him. When they were on the roads where little food stands and shops were set up, Bang Kieu slowed down, making it easier for Duong Trieu Vu to ride alongside with him. He looked over to Bang Kieu, who still had a frown on his face.

“This is beautiful, isn’t it?” Phi Nhung asked, showing Minh Tuyet a pink handbag. Minh Tuyet nodded her head and pulled Phi Nhung to another stand.

“Man…if you wanna talk about it, you know I’m here,” Duong Trieu Vu said to Bang Kieu, who was riding a bit fast.
“But I already told you I don’t want to talk about it!” Bang Kieu yelled.
“KIEU, WATCH OUT!” Duong Trieu bellowed.

“MADAME! WATCH OUT!” Phi Nhung cried.

Bang Kieu stopped abruptly when he felt he horse had hit something…or someone. They quickly dismounted from their horses and ran to the victim, who fell faced down. Duong Trieu Vu saw a trail of blood while Bang Kieu carefully turned the body over. He stared at the body in shock when he saw that it was Minh Tuyet.
“Madam!!!” he heard Phi Nhung cried as she felt to her knees beside Minh Tuyet and started to shake her.
“Put her onto the horse…we gotta get her back to the mansion … and quick!” Duong Trieu Vu said. Bang Kieu did what he was told; he had to support Minh Tuyet’s body as he was riding the road while Duong Trieu Vu rode Phi Nhung back to the mansion.

“WHAT HAPPENED?!” Tuan Ngoc yelled loudly at Duong Trieu Vu, Bang Kieu, and Phi Nhung, who were standing in a line.
“I expect you to take care and make sure no harm or danger comes near my daughter! Is that too hard?!” Tuan Ngoc screamed in Phi Nhung’s face. Minh Tuyet was on her bed with a strip of white cloth wrapped around her head; on the side, there was a blot of red blood. Tu Quyen was standing beside Phi Nhung, who whimpered and cried softly.
“How did this happen?!” his eyes boarded into Phi Nhung.
“I-I-I-I-I-… I didn’t mean for this to happen…I wasn’t paying attention…” she finally managed to say.
“NOT PAYING ATTENTION? So I hired you to go hang out with my daughter but keeping her safe is out of the question?”
“I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I am so sorry, sir. I-I-I never…,” Phi Nhung got cut off,
“Ahem, sir. I could explain what happened,” Bang Kieu spoke up. Duong Trieu Vu nudged him at the arm and whispered,
“What are you doing? This could cost us our job! I have a family to support…” But Bang Kieu completely ignored him.
“Really? You can explain…well then go ahead!”
“You see, Minh Tuyet had dropped something and had ordered Phi Nhung to pick it up, when Phi Nhung wasn’t looking, Minh Tuyet took the opportunity to run across the road without supervision for once…but a horse hit her.”
Phi Nhung looked over at Bang Kieu in the eye. It was a lie. Everything he had just said was made up.
“Is this true, Phi Nhung?” Tuan Ngoc looked over to her.
“Y-Y-Y-Yes … s-sir, it is.”
“Very well then. As your master, I apologize. I know my daughter could be like this… therefore…you will not lose your job.”
“D-D-Daddy?” Minh Tuyet said softly on her bed.
Tuan Ngoc, Tu Quyen, and Phi Nhung immediately ran over to her and started to ask a series of question such as ‘can you hear us?’, ‘how many fingers am I holding up?”, and ‘do you need anything?’. Bang Kieu wanted to so much to run over to her and hold her in his arms…but his fantasy was interrupted when Duong Trieu Vu pulled him to the bed. They were slowly walking up to Minh Tuyet when Luong Tung Quang ran into the room and pushed the two aside. He quickly held Minh Tuyet by the hands and gently placed it on his lips. While Duong Trieu Vu and Bang Kieu walked over, Minh Tuyet’s eyes opened up. She looked at each person in the room carefully… she looked at Phi Nhung, Tuan Ngoc, Tu Quyen, Bang Kieu, Luong Tung Quang, and Duong Trieu Vu, who were all looking back. She looked down at her hand and saw that Luong Tung Quang was holding it… She quickly pulled her hand away and yelled,
“Who are you?!”

No comments: