Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Chapter Nine


“So you two had to act like you guys loved each other?” Van Quynh snickered.
“Yeah, then he started putting his arms around me and holding me,” Minh Tuyet said as she shuddered.
“You should’ve been there, Van Quynh. He walked up out of nowhere and sat down next to her. I tried not to laugh when I was standing there,” Duong Trieu Vu said. The three of them were at the little shop where Minh Tuyet and Bang Kieu had noodles the other day.
“What about the other guy?” Van Quynh asked.
“What other guy?” Duong Trieu questioned curiously.
“This guy named Bang Kieu,” Van Quynh replied.
“Who is he?”
“He’s someone that Minh Tuyet bumped into.”
“What about him?”
“She likes him,” Van Quynh laughed.
“I do not!” Minh Tuyet protested,
“Well, guess what? She told him that she’s a maid at Lord Tuan Ngoc’s mansion.
“What?” Duong Trieu Vu cried.
“Well, he started to talk about my dad, and he was actually right. So then I just-” Minh Tuyet stopped when she heard a soft and gentle voice call her name.

“Tuyet?”
She turned around and saw Bang Kieu in the sunlight.
“Bang Kieu!” she said when she saw him. She quickly stood up and both of them immediately went into a conversation, completely ignoring Duong Trieu Vu and Van Quynh. Van Quynh leaned over to Duong Trieu vu and whispered in his ear,
“That’s him.”
Duong Trieu Vu deliberately cleared his throat, grabbing Minh Tuyet’s attention.
“Oh! I’m sorry. Let me introduce you guys,” Minh Tuyet, turning away from Bang Kieu and facing the other two.
“Bang Kieu, this is Van Quynh and Duong Trieu Vu, my closest friends. And guys, this is Bang Kieu, my friend. Duong Trieu Vu works with me at my dad’s … um, Lord Tuan Ngoc mansion” Minh Tuyet said.
Bang Kieu sat down and ordered himself a bowl of noodles.
“Nice to meet you,” Duong Trieu Vu said and put out a hand.
“Likewise,” Bang Kieu shook the hand, “so you work with Tuyet?”
“Yeah,” Duong Trieu Vu nodded his head.
“Well, I’m joining you!” Bang Kieu cried in excitement.
“WHAT?” Minh Tuyet choked on her noodles. Van Quynh handed her a glass of water and she gulped it down.
“A friend helped me get in and introduced me to Lord Tuan Ngoc, I’m a guard there now” Bang Kieu explained.
“So-so-so-so-so, you’re gonna … work there? Are you getting a room there?” Minh Tuyet asked with fear in her voice.
“Yeah, I am. I actually have to go now, I’m moving in this afternoon.”
“I’ll eat your noodles,” Duong Trieu Vu raised his hand as Bang Kieu left.
Minh Tuyet started to slap herself and said,
“Wake up! Wake up!”
Van Quynh and Duong Trieu Vu sat there and giggled quietly.
“I can’t believe this is happening! I admit it, Van Quynh! I like him! If he finds out that I’m not who he thinks I am … he’ll be so mad! Then he’ll never talk to me again! Help me!”
“Calm down, Tuyet. I’ll help you,” Duong Trieu Vu said, pulling Minh Tuyet’s hands away from her face.
“How?”
“Well, I work there, too. I know where your room is, so I’ll just show him around and tell him to never be in that area.”
“That’s … actually a smart idea!”
“I know. It is my idea,” Duong Trieu smirked. They continued eating, and little did Duong Trieu Vu knew, Van Quynh was staring at him the whole time.

No comments: