Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Chapter One


“Madame, are you done yet?” Phi Nhung asked impatiently.
Minh Tuyet walked out from behind the curtains and held her simple dress by the tips and raised it.
“Yeah, yeah. To tell you the truth, I don’t even wanna meet this guy. He’s probably rich, which means he’s probably spoiled, which means I won’t like him, which mea-”
“How about you just meet him first?” Phi Nhung cut Minh Tuyet off.
Minh Tuyet breathed in and gave a loud sigh. She sat down in front of her dresser and looked at her reflection, fixing her hair and putting on makeup.
“What did my dad say his name was?” Minh Tuyet asked as she pressed her lips against a red piece of paper, making her lips cherry- blossom- red.
“Luong Tung Quang, ma’am; it sounds like a very nice name.”
“Well, a nice name doesn’t always come with a nice personality. He probably won’t even like me, just the money I’ll be inheriting.”
“Let’s just give him a chance.”
“You know, if he wasn’t my dad’s best friend’s son, I wouldn’t even consider giving the guy a chance,” Minh Tuyet said and sat up, straightening her dress.

“Sir Luong Tung Quang had arrive, Miss Tuyet! Your father, sir Tuan Ngoc, had requested for you to report to the front building,” a guard yelled in a deep voice from outside the room. Phi Nhung hung on gently to Minh Tuyet’s arms and they both walked out to where Luong Tung Quang and Minh Tuyet’s father were having tea and small talk. When they arrived at the door, Minh Tuyet walked straight to her father and sat down in the chair beside him.
“Sorry I’m late, Dad. I was just getting ready to meet this fine gentleman,” Minh Tuyet said with a sweet voice, and she looked over to Luong Tung Quang.
“And it was worth the wait. You look beautiful,” Luong Tung Quang complimented.
“So, father. Why did you want me to meet him?” Minh Tuyet asked her father; completely ignoring Luong Tung Quang.
“Well, I was going to see if you two were getting along, and have things in common. But honey, why are you wearing such a simple dress when sir Luong Tung Quang is a very important guest? ” Tuan Ngoc replied.
“I have to meet my friend down at the market later. Just so you know, I didn’t throw a fit when I saw him; I guess we do get along. Hmm, oh, and we both agree that I look beautiful today. I guess that’s it? Okay, well, I have to go meet my friend now. Bye,” and with that, Minh Tuyet walked towards the main gates with grace. Arriving at the gate, she realized that Luong Tung Quang was following her, so she turned around.
“What do you want?” Minh Tuyet asked angrily.
“I didn’t think you properly thanked me for the compliment I gave you; nor do I think we properly greeted each other. Let’s start again. Nice to meet you, ma’am; my name is Luong Tung Quang,” he said and he took her by the hand and kissed it softly.
“Hi, my name is Minh Tuyet. I’m the daughter of Tuan Ngoc; you know... the man who owns the most successful business in this city. The one with all the riches? I do believe that’s what you’re after, so why not annoy that instead of me?”
Luong Tung Quang chuckled softly and shook his head.
“I like you, Madame; you’re a very straight-forward person. Well, I would like for you to know that I’m not after the money.”
“Then what are you after? Don’t even say that you’re after me, because we’ve only known each other for a few minutes, which means you only like me for my looks,” Minh Tuyet said, and folded her arms. They both stood in silence for a couple of seconds, then Minh Tuyet turned her back and continued her way to meeting her friend in the market, leaving Luong Tung Quang smiling.

No comments: