Thursday, August 16, 2007

Chapter Twenty


Luong Tung Quang looked over at Minh Tuyet in shock. Minh Tuyet, on the other hand, was staring into space…unaware of the fact that Luong Tung Quang had a look of disagreement.
“What are you talking about?” he asked nervously.
“...you wanted to marry me in the beginning… so…let’s get married,” Minh Tuyet answered, her eyes still glued to the piece of rose that was drooping in the wind by the window.
“Are you serious?”
“Yes I am…”
Luong Tung Quang quickly got down to his knees in front of Minh Tuyet and held her by the hands.
“Look, Tuyet. I know that this is just the pain that you have talking. I don’t know what had happened the other night, but it had affected you in a horrible way. You’re just saying this now because you’re hurt…but when you finally get back to your senses, you will regret your decision! I can guarantee you that!”
“I won’t regret it, I promise you. To tell you the truth, I liked you when I first saw you,” she lied.
“Really?”
“Yes… and now this is my decision…that is unless you don’t want to marry me.”
“No…I…I mean, who wouldn’t want to marry me you? Look at you, you’re beautiful.”
“So it’s a yes?”
“I… um…,” Luong Tung Quang scratched his head. He must admit that he did want to marry Minh Tuyet in the beginning, but after he met Tu Quyen, she made him realized that Minh Tuyet wasn’t the one for him.
“So…?” Minh Tuyet said, still waiting for an answer as her eyes was still on the flower.
“I … well… um…” He knew that what happened the other night had caused Minh Tuyet’s heart to shatter into thousands of pieces…but if he rejected her…then those pieces would just dissolve into smaller and smaller pieces. He finally knew what he had to do.
“Yes,” he said determinedly.
“Really…?” Minh Tuyet looked up at him with a smile.
“Whatever for you…honey,” Luong Tung Quang said, returning the smile.
The two of them held hands as Minh Tuyet was in pain and Luong Tung Quang in confusion. Luong Tung Quang looked out the door and saw a shadow, which turned away once it realized that he as looking at it. Tu Quyen ran back to her room as tears ran down her eyes.

“That is wonderful news!” Tuan Ngoc cried with happiness when Minh Tuyet and Luong Tung Quang told him their decision. All the maids stood on the side and admired Minh Tuyet and her life as Tu Quyen congratulated her with a fake smile.
“We must start with the wedding plans right away!” Tuan Ngoc said.
Although Minh Tuyet had made the decision, she wasn’t all that excited, neither was Luong Tung Quang. However, Tu Quyen tried to hide her pain by acting anxious about the day of the wedding plans. She was talking about the food, decorations, guests, and dresses. Then Minh Tuyet’s father did something she wished he had never done: He called two guards over to send the good news to Ky Duyen and her husband; Duong Trieu Vu and Bang Kieu came over.
“I want you two to take the horses from the shelter and quickly ride to Ky Duyen’s city. I’m guessing that it would take you about two days for the trip because you will spend the night there, can you two handle this responsibility?”
“Yes sir!” the two young men yelled, staring Tuan Ngoc in the eyes and lifting their hands to their foreheads. Minh Tuyet immediately looked away when Bang Kieu walked by.

No comments: