Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Chapter Nineteen


Tuan Ngoc, Minh Tuyet, Tu Quyen, and Luong Tung Quang were gathered around the dining table for breakfast. Minh Tuyet was in silence eating her meal as Luong Tung Quang and Tu Quyen were having a conversation.
“Girls, I’m going to be visiting your aunt Ho Le Thu today,” Tuan Ngoc said.
Minh Tuyet and Tu Quyen looked over to him and nodded.
“Are you two going to be okay staying here alone?” Tuan Ngoc asked.
“Don’t worry, sir. I’ll be here,” Luong Tung Quang jumped in.
And the three began to talk about what they would do the rest of the day, leaving Minh Tuyet alone with her broken heart.

Minh Tuyet was sitting in the garden, staring out onto the lake. She was thinking about what would happen if she didn’t lie to Bang Kieu; if she never bumped into him; if she never rejected Luong Tung Quang, who turned out to be a nice guy; and if she had married Luong Tung Quang…
“Madame Tuyet, Madame Quyen requests for you,” a guard said behind her. She turned around and got ready to go, but she stopped. It was Bang Kieu.
“Bang Kieu, I-”
“If that is all ma’am, I shall return to my duties,” Bang Kieu said and he left the garden leaving Minh Tuyet in tears. She made her way to Tu Quyen’s room in pain.
“How are you?” Tu Quyen asked Minh Tuyet as they sat down.
“I’m alright, I guess. But I feel as though something is missing from my heart,” she answered.
“I see… well, I’ve thought about Quang and everything and I decided not to tell him. I’ll just bury it.”
“Oh, okay…” Minh Tuyet said. If she wasn’t this down, she would’ve convinced Tu Quyen to tell him, but she wasn’t really in the mood right now. Minh Tuyet stood up and walked drowsily to the front building. She thought about the kiss she had with Bang Kieu a couple of days ago, and now it’s all just a memory that would blow away in the dust. She promised herself that she would not cry because of this anymore… she started to feel more and sleepier. Her father knew nothing about the incident last night, and she wasn’t planning on telling him. But she couldn’t help but to wonder if of any of the maids gossiped about this… or if they even know. Luong Tung Quang walked into the room and immediately started to talk.
“Hey, Tuyet; I thought about Quyen, and I decided to- ”
“Marry me, Quang…”

No comments: